Thursday 31 May 2012

A mystery??

My sister,hopefully a regular reader of my blog made a comment on my last installment of Memoir/backstory.Before I continue with my memoir,I wanted to make some reply to her comments,as indeed I already have privately.

My sister,in her comments notes that two of my nephews,her son Dorian and my other sisters son Zack have also been taken to visit both the barber shop and the candy store in Springhill.Firstly,I had no idea that the candy store in Springhill had actually been rebuilt,though I would be quite surprised if it had not.So I too am very glad that they got to experience that,and that my father got to take them there.I'm certain that it was a very meaningful thing for him to pass along to his grandchildren at a time when he was often inhibited by poor health.

As to the barber shop,I'm finding this a bit mysterious.What I mean is,who was this barber and what was so special about visiting his particular shop in Springhill when there are plenty of shops a lot closer to home?For my father there may just have been a lot of nostalgia involved in getting his hair cut in his own hometown.Who knows what kind of memories that holds for a person.It was certainly important enough for him to share with both children and grandchildren.Now this barber that I recall visiting and the one my nephews went to could surely not have been the same barber,though it may have been the same shop.The barber,as I recall was elderly when I visited and that would have been around 1965 or 1966.Again I get the sense that this was something more than a normal visit to the barber shop,but what its significance was I really have no idea.

It occurs to me that this is one of those incidents that would possibly make more sense if I had been able to make notes about it at the time of it happening.A perfect example of how I have to depend on memory that is in some way unreliable.In her comment,my sister made note of the fact that I seem to be able to recall things that she can't.Then she goes on to make mention of a memory which,to this point had escaped me.The certain fact is that we live separate lives complete with our own memories of things.In the 1960's for instance,a barber shop was almost the exclusive domain of men and boys,so she would have no reason to remember it in all likelihood. It's worth noting a one year age difference too,so some of the differences in recall are simply developmental in nature.A yer in early childhood will make a world of difference in how things are perceived

To that end,I have replied to my sisters comment by asking her to post a guest entry on my blog sometime in the future I'm still technologically challenged so it may take me some time to figure out how to do that But hopefully soon I can get it set up and she will agree to make a guest appearance.

But there is one burning question in my mind.WHO WAS THAT BARBER?

1 comment:

  1. I am greatly enjoying your blog I find it very fascinating

    ReplyDelete