Tuesday 8 May 2012

I try to keep a positive attitude about being back in Alberta.Sometimes thats easy because there really is a lot to be grateful for here.Other times it is amazingly difficult.Like last night for instance.It was a beautiful spring evening and I was walking to my Monday night jam session in the east village.As I neared my destination I was approached by two people on bicycles.Now I know the Alberta mindset:"I'm entitled-to make as much money as I can,to no government interference in my life and to whatever I can put over on my fellow citizens.In short to do as I please so long as I am sneaky enough or forceful enough to get away with it."So then,the fact that I was struck and injured by one of these spandex clad buffoons is likely my own fault.After all I only gave them two thirds of the sidewalk that they are"entitled"to use,even though the law regarding such use is phrased somewhat differently.I guess the expectation on their part was that I should step out into a busy street to allow them to pass.Silly me for thinking otherwise.But you see,I tend to view such enviromentalists as doing something responsible with their lives,like relieving downtown traffic congestion or not fouling our air with more exhaust fumes.On the other hand,maybe it's more about parking for free when everyone else pays.After all there are so many places one can chain up a bike at no cost at all.Like to mailboxes,fire hydrants,trees and even other peoples bicycles that are already using the designated bike posts.Or,maybe its really all about the fact that bicycles are not licensed or insured in this city,thus allowing this person to enjoy his entitlement to it's fullest degree.That is to say,without fear of accountability.And that state of affairs continues to exist despite at least one fatal hit and run collision between a cyclist and a pedestrian in the time I've lived in Calgary.So to this moron in tights I have this to say.By the rules of your own logic you are also "entitled"to ride your bike the wrong way down the Deerfoot Trail at rush hour.So I was thinking that you might like to do that sometime soon so as to come to a greater appreciation that every other citizen is also "entitled".As for me,I'll survive.I have a large bruise on my wrist,thumb and forearm where I caught this guys handlebars but no real damage done.And,oh did I mention,after his incident with me Mr.Responsible Cyclist speeds off past a construction flagman holding up a stop sign.It's not like he didn't see the sign.He was standing on his pedals and cranking as hard as he could.Now why do that if he's covered by "entitlement"At least it seems as though he really does understand the difference between right and wrong-and chooses to avoid the inconveniance that doing the right thing implies.So much for the forward thinking responsible enviromentalist.Aside from saving some burrowing owl,this guy obviously doesn't have much consideration for the rest of God's creatures,especially human ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment