Saturday 1 December 2012

memoir writers homework-trespassers will be prosecuted

There was a small set of railroad tracks separating our end of town from Centenial Park,in Moncton's west end.But,to get to the park without crossing them involved cycling for miles,way down past the locomotive shops then back.So everyone crossed at the tracks.Just on the other side of those tracks there was miles of hiking or biking trails through the woods,but,of course there was a huge sign saying "trespassers will be prosecuted"It was obviously intended to keep us away,but I don't know if they ever really intended to prosecute anyone.

In those days the tracks were quite busy.But since the Canadian National shops have closed,hardly a train ever passes.Railroads,of course could be dangerous places,and that is likely why the sign was there.You could be killed by trying to race the train,but no one I knew was that stupid.There were some switches on the tracks there,and some kids would play with those while no one was around.That could be dangerous too.In fact,it could cause cars to derail.There always seemed to be boxcars parked there and they acquired graffiti though not nearly as quickly as they would today.Some of the kids said you could hide in the boxcars or even ride them if you stayed inside them for a while.The trouble with that was that they could only go to the shops or the switching yard,neither of which was more than a few blocks away,and you were certain to be caught doing that.One friend told me you could steal dynamite from the cars too,but I never believed that,and I've never known anyone to do it.There was a rumor that a wild man lived near that crossing too,but I never considered that to be much more than a lame attempt to keep younger kids away.There could have been the odd hobo there I guess,but I never saw one.

Like most all the kids around,I just wanted to get to the park without having to go all the way to Timbuktu.So,I would wheel up to the track,jump of my bicycle and carry it across the tracks.If no train was passing,it only took seconds,and if there were a train,I loved to watch the cars go by.It was said that the railway police patrolled the crossing,but I never saw a police car there ever.I was not interested in pulling switches,or riding in boxcars or dynamite.I just wanted to go to the park.I'm sure the police did try to catch kids damaging property,but I never encountered them despite the sign.Maybe I was just lucky,but I never knew or knew of any other kid who encountered them either. 

No comments:

Post a Comment