Sunday 7 October 2012

op/ed-American politics.

Well,I've just been officially chastened for the second time in three days for having an opinion on American politics.The logic of both these people,one living in the United States,the other in Canada,is that since I'm not American and will not be voting in the upcoming election,I should refrain from expressing an opinion on American politics.My immediate reaction  was that,while I am indeed not American,all thinking people on this small planet that we share need to be informed about American politics.America casts a really huge shadow.So,while I agree that the upcoming American election is in the hands of American people to decide,it is beyond me how anyone could think that no person living outside the United States "has a right"to an opinion.Not only do I have a right,but I,like any thinking citizen of this world has a responsibility to be involved in the discourse because,as goes America,so goes the free world.

In 2001,America asked for our support on 9/11,and like nearly everyone I know,I was happy to stand with America.Their cause,so far as it was directed at global terrorism was righteous.I would note further,that I had to set aside my liberal leanings to support a Republican president,but,as I say,the cause was righteous.Setting partisan ideology aside was easier than one might imagine.In the following few years,Canada supported America militarily in Afghanistan,but not in Iraq.And again,while this happened in an atmosphere of deepening conservatism here in Canada,I supported our country's decision.It was,hopefully,a decision rendered independently of American influence,left in the hands of Canadian people and their elected representatives.

As for myself personally,when I put up a yellow ribbon,it was for the safe return of American soldiers,as well as Canadian fighting men.When we prayed in church,it was for all of our military personnel,as well as their families at home,regardless of what side of the border they  lived on.And I was only too proud to do that,because it was a righteous cause.Now,in fairness,not everyone here in Canada supported American causes.Some of our politicians though you were"stupid" or said"I hate the bastards."And I stood firmly among the many who asked those ill informed politicians to resign.You see,we've shared the same continent for a few hundred years now,and that in my estimation makes us brothers.And,while I do not have ultimate control over my brother's(or sisters) behavior,or political policy as it may be,I have a vested interest in seeing that my brother is the best brother he can be.I need to not be ill informed politically,philosophically or socially as to what is happening south of my own border.Living in safety and health depends on it.

There are apparently those south of the border who seem to agree with me.To the point that they make extraordinary efforts to influence what it is I think,and,in a larger sense,how America is perceived in the rest of the world.Not to mention any names,Fox,CNN...oops.So.if I'm supposed to not have an opinion,if I'm supposed to sit with an idle brain and a wired jaw,then why does American propaganda,dogma and legitimate discourse as well,keep invading my living space?

There are a lot of things which don't affect me directly which I think about on a daily basis.For instance,I do not have cancer.That does not mean that I am not affected indirectly by cancer.I've watched loved ones suffer from it's ravages.I've even lost people I know to cancer.And I'm only too happy to support the cause against cancer in any way that I am able.It might,after all be of vital importance to me someday,if indeed it is not already.I don't own an animal either,but I support the idea of having a home for every pet.I only mention these two examples because a great deal of my Facebook friends support these causes and ask me to be engaged on the issues.But that was before the American elections.Now I'm being asked to take a stand(hopefully an informed stand)on something that supposedly doesn't affect me directly.What,then,I ask is so sacrosanct about American elections that I supposedly "don't have a right"to render comment on the matter?

Why do I go to the effort I do to inform myself on all issues American?Because I live with you all on a planet that is getting smaller everyday.And,with that in mind,quality control is everyone's business.I respectfully disagree with your opinion that I should never never take a side in American elections.When can you expect my abstinence of commentary to began?Just as soon as CNN and Fox stop trying to gather Canadian sheep into their American fold.Or perhaps I'll wait until Saudi Arabia freezes over.

No comments:

Post a Comment