Saturday 27 October 2012

memoir writers homework-lost keys

I was  in a big rush when I got home from school on Monday afternoon,school being Grant McEwan Community College in Edmonton,Alberta.That's because I volunteered at a local hospital on Monday evenings.I had just enough time to grab something out of the refrigerator for dinner and gulp it down as I was running through the shower.So,when I came in,I put my keys on top of the refrigerator and opened up the door looking for something appetizing,or at least edible.And I heard a dull sort of a plop,thinking"that was my keys."I was hardly new to the experience of losing keys.My refrigerator was an older model with just the one door.The small freezer was inside.At first,it occurred to me that my keys must have fallen on the floor,either in front of or beside the fridge.I couldn't find them in front,so I grabbed a flashlight and looked beside the fridge,between it and the stove.Again,no keys.So I pulled the fridge out from the wall,because there was really only one other place they could be,and that would be behind the fridge.Not the easiest place to get at,especially when I was in a hurry,and I had a tiny galley kitchen.Looking down behind the fridge,an action which required me to partly straddle the stove,I made a discovery.That discovery was that while most people have an impressive collection of dust bunnies behind their fridge and stove,I had dust kangaroos.What I did not discover,to my intense dismay was my keys.So I left my place unlocked and went to the hospital.When I returned,I spent two more hours looking for my keys to no avail.I covered all the ground I had before I left,a number of times,then decided they must be in the fridge.I looked on each shelf and in the crisper.I discovered a couple of interesting science projects,but again,no keys.Now this was no real disaster as I kept an extra set in my locker at school,as well as at a close friends house.But it did mean I would have to leave the apartment unlocked until I came home the next day.When I did,there had been no break and enter and nothing was out of place.Not so much luck,because I lived in a very good building.But my keys were still missing.And I'd searched every inch of the kitchen over and over.I had no idea as to where they might be found.

On Thursday morning as I was getting my breakfast of grapefruit sausage and milk,I poured the last of a two liter milk container into my glass.I also poured my keys into the glass.They had fallen from the top of the refrigerator directly into the open spout of the milk container,which on Monday had been almost full.Over the years,both before and since I've lost my keys many times.I'm a walking disaster with a set of keys,and always have been.But I've never been able to top that milk carton as a place to hide keys from myself.

1 comment:

  1. Michael - you've topped us all here in Toronto at the Monday Memoir Writers group with your story on "lost keys"! Terrific tale for sure.

    ReplyDelete