Sunday 23 September 2012

memoir,chapter one-continued

Redmondville is in the northern part of the province of New Brunswick.In winter it can be very snowy and quite cold.Winters were often that way when I was growing up.Roads there were not anything of the quality of the ones today.In summer they were rough and in winter they would have been snow packed and icy.On the warmer winter nights they could be covered in black ice,invisible to the eye,but enough to send a car out of control.But those were later winters.The winter we spent in Redmondville,and there must have been only one,to the best of my recall,has fallen victim to the frailty of my mind ,such as it is.I simply do not recall a lot of snow,so it may have been a mild winter.

Of that winter I have only two snow memories.The one is of the neighbor throwing snowballs in the spring or summer,past the time that snow lingered on the ground.She must have kept them in a freezer inside the trailer.My other memory of snow,or,to be more accurate,ice,is of a time we drove a babysitter home in my fathers car.It really couldn't have been so far away from where we lived,but,at that age,all things seemed very far.My whole world you see was a small strip of driveway,so going anyplace where that house could not be seen seemed very different to me.

We must have taken her to a place near the coast,Black River,perhaps,or Point Sapin,as my father knew people in both places.But we drove down the back roads for a while.Now there may have been snow on the ground then,but I don't remember it.At some point we came to a large body of water,a bay of some sort.Here my father stopped the car and let the young woman out,and she started out across the surface of the bay on the ice.We watched her for a while,and I suppose that it may have been that my father feared she may fall through the ice.But she did not.It must have been no later than March as people would not normally have crossed open water later in the spring.The lady with the box full of snowballs must have come later,and that would have been very close to the time we left Redmondville for Moncton,in 1964.

No comments:

Post a Comment