Sunday 16 September 2012

How not to be a Christian!!!

Here is the "Reverend" Fred Phelps,fearless fighter of all that's wrong with this world.Did I say"all"that's wrong.My mistake.This guy seems to think there is only one thing wrong with the world.I warn you,this is disturbing.I'll edit this post in a day or two to explain why this IS NOT a Christian message.




It's not so much that "Reverend" Phelps runs down my country with accusations that are not factual that disturbs me ,though that is bad enough.By the way,it is not true that it is a crime to read the Bible or worship as we see fit in Canada,so "Reverend"you stand corrected.It is truth that we have laws that limit freedom of speech in such a way as to not permit it's being used to incite hatred against others,thus causing them to more vulnerable to violence and abuse of their human rights.Simply put,that is reasonable.And,"Reverend",where is your connection between"fags"and the faults you see with our country?Oh,right,I forgot,there is no connection.The whole argument is not founded on logical discourse but on something that has become a bit of a fixation with you and your church.

No,I can live with your right to speak freely,even if I would never use my own freedom to do the things you so freely do with yours.And every time I see you I thank God that he has given you the ability to so clearly articulate your ignorance.

The problem with this sort of preaching is that it diminishes Christian ministry in the eyes of a world that we are taught to care for and hold in prayer.But "Reverend"Phelps does not understand any of that.You see,the binding of his Bible must be faulty,as it seems only to open as far as Leviticus 18.Don't get me wrong,you should read Leviticus 18 and take it to heart,but it seems to me that we are told that all scripture is for our benefit.So what is the point of founding a ministry on a single phrase of scripture.What is the point of reading Leviticus 18 if you do not also read John 3:16 and then proceed to 1st Corinthians 13?In fact,the "Reverend"has seemingly not even taken all of Leviticus 18 to heart.I'm referring of course to the warning at the end of that chapter that says"for I AM The Lord."

Yes,"Reverend"Phelps,it's time you let God be God and either repent of taking
his name in vain or quietly fade into the dark recesses of history.When I read John 3:16,I believe it to apply to the whole world,just as God says it does.That being the case,it is logically inconsistent to preach the message "God hates fags"That is not a gospel message.So,every time you hear it you can,and should translate it directly as "Reverend Phelps hates fags"The problem with that sort of preaching is that "Reverend"Phelps is on the outside looking in when it comes to the whole of scripture.Christian witness can and should be a response to God's assurance that He loves all of mankind despite the fact that we all sin and fall short of his glory.What I don't hear from Phelps is a response to Gods love in his life.I only hear hatred,directed at a particular group of sinners,and mindless of his own sin.

The secular world views Christians as right wing zealots,intolerant of any views other than their own.It seemingly never occurs to them that there are many among us that are informed by enlightened values not rooted in the thirteenth century."Reverend"Phelps certainly confirms such opinions on the part of the public.But,in fact,the scriptures instruct us to,among other things walk humbly with God.In the name of doing just that "Reverend" Phelps might look to the example of Abraham at the time of Sodom and Gommorah.But,sadly,instead of being willing to make intercession for sinners,"Reverend" Phelps seems to look eagerly forward to their destruction.How unfortunate to take such a view when you yourself are to be counted among the unrighteous.


No comments:

Post a Comment